Pool Tables and Billiard Tables are great investments, providing guests and your family with a fun pastime that spans all age groups. Many pool tables are beautiful examples of craftsmanship, creating a heirloom piece of furniture for your home that can be passed down to following generations. To ensure your investment lasts long enough to be passed to your children or grandchildren, try these care and maintenance suggestions.
Caring for Pool Table Cabinetry
- Use a damp cloth with mild detergent to clean manmade surfaces such as Formica or vinyl.
- Use a dry cloth to dust wood surfaces.
- Use high-quality furniture paste wax to clean the rails.
- Use oil and polish such as "Old English" to clean scratches.
- Never use Windex or other ammonia-based glass cleaners on wood; it could destroy the finish.
- Humidity levels can cause wood crack or warp; use a humidifier or dehumidifier to control the humidity levels,
- Immediately clean up any spills to prevent stains.
- Never sit or stand on a pool table. There is a seal between the cushions and the rails that can break under the weight of a human, causing dead cushions that will prevent clean rebounds and accurate ball response. This can also cause the table to become curved.
- Once your pool table is assembled, never try to move it without the help of a professional.
- Avoid placing your new pool table in direct sunlight, but if this is impossible, consider protecting it with a billiard table cover.
Caring for Pool Cues
- Store billiard cues upright and in a wall rack located away outside doors and heat vents.
- Use a damp cloth and mild soap to clean pool cues; dry and polish them with a soft clean cloth.
- Typical warranties do not cover pool cues; most can easily be repaired with a pool cue repair kit (pictured left).
Caring for Pool Table Cloth
- In the first three months of owning a pool table, be sure to brush the cloth as often as possible.
- Try racking the pool balls in one motion to avoid excessive wear on the cloth.
- Use a hot, damp cloth to wipe up excessive chalk left on the table.
- Alternate the ends of the table where you break and rack the pool balls.
- Never brush the billiard cloth in a circular motion, but rather in straight, up and down, side to side motions.
- Never clean pool table cloth with a vacuum cleaner.
- To protect against dust, sunlight, moisture and other negative elements, try covering your pool table with a pool table covering.
- Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity, which can cause the cloth to loosen and wrinkle.
Caring for Pool Balls
- Special pool ball cleaner does exist, and we suggest using it to clean your pool balls.
- Use a clean soft brush to dry and polish your pool balls after cleanings.
- Buff your pool balls with a high-quality paste wax.
Caring for Pool Table Pockets
- Never lean or sit on a pool table pocket.
- Like other pool table parts, the pool table pockets should be protected from extremes in heat, humidity and sunlight.
- If you have standard leather pockets, be sure to evenly store the balls in the pockets or remove them completely. Multiple balls concentrated in one pocket can weigh down the pocket, disconnecting tacks and staples.
- Never slide your pool cues over the pool table pockets.
- Since loose tacks and staples can damage the pool balls, be sure to check if any have come loose or disconnected over time.
- Use a damp cloth with mild detergent to clean the pool table pockets, and dry with a soft clean cloth.
- Use a soft dry cloth to remove dust from the pockets.
- Pockets can stain easily, so be sure to avoid placing any liquid near them such as nail polisher remover or ink.
Hopefully these suggestions will help you care for your Pool Table or Billiard Table. While they are great investments that provide a fun pastime, pool tables do require a little bit of work and maintenance to ensure accurate gameplay as well as keeping a high-quality appearance. But the benefits are clear: a fun indoor sport everyone in the family can enjoy!
Are you on the market for a new pool table or billiard table? Do your homework and view the Family Leisure Pool Table Buying Guide before you make a move. All Family Leisure Pool Tables come with Free Nationwide Shipping.