Spa & Hot Tub Buying Guide | Family Leisure
A home spa or hot tub can transform your outdoor space into a luxurious getaway. But like any other major home purchase, they require thought and decision on size, shape, style and even brand.
Many people use the terms spa and hot tub interchangeably, though there is a historic difference between the two.
The term "hot tub" appeared in the 1960s. It referred to wooden structures that were often shaped like a barrel. Hot tubs were typically small and only held one or two people. As they gained popularity, manufacturers began making them out of different materials, like fiberglass. In addition, larger models hit the market. These variations away form the basic wooden models became known as spas.
Today, both are still available on the market. Wooden models have grown to include seats, larger space for more occupants, jets, and other features that make them similar to their spa counterparts.
Buying a Spa or Hot Tub
The logistics of your space is perhaps one of the most important things to look into.
- What view do you want? An evening in the hot tub might not be as enjoyable if you're staring at the backside of the house. Is there a spot you can place it that will be easy to install but also provide an aesthetically pleasing view? You might consider updating your landscaping to create a new, relaxing getaway.
- Is there a firm foundation? When filled, a spa or hot tub can weigh more than 3,000 pounds. Make sure the space is able to support the weight.
- Will there be a problem with utilities? The hot tub or spa needs to be away from power or other utility lines. In addition, spas require an electrical supply, which may require installation of a line to your home.
Shop By Brand
Family Leisure offers a wide stock of spa and hot tub brands that will meet any of your home's needs.
- Artesian Spas: Artesian Spas are the perfect choice for creating a true escape in your backyard. The Island Series offers luxurious yet affordable options while the Platinum Elite Class offers state of the art technology and a surely stress-reducing experience. With plenty of water massage features, wood-like siding, and sizes for any outside space, this brand is a terrific option for creating your outdoor oasis.
- Viking Spas: Viking Spas come in both large square shaped models and smaller circular models, making it easy to select an option that is perfect for your space. The circular models reflect the historic hot tub trends with siding resembling wood. The Destiny River series includes luxurious and spacious square models that are excellent for entertaining.
- Tropic Seas: Tropic Seas and Tropic Seas Deluxe models (Tropic Seas Deluxe) are the ultimate choice in helping you unwind. Complete with stainless steel jets and ergonomic seating, letting the aches and pains of the day disappear is truly possible.
- Garden Spas: Garden Spas are the perfect choice for the small space. This brand is available in 2 person models and unique shapes, like a shell, that make enjoying a water massage possible in even the smallest of outdoor areas.
- DreamMaker Spas: DreamMaker Spas combine comfort and support with a hydrotherapy experience. Some models provide seating for up to 6 people.
Shop by Size
Size options for hot tubs and spas are typically classified by the number of people they can seat. The typical size range is 2 to 10 people.
- 2-3 people: These models are great for couples or small homes. Viking, Artesian, and Dream Maker all have options in 2-3 person hot tubs.
- 4 person: This size comes in both round and square models and includes fun features like multicolor lights. Dream Maker, Artesian and Viking all make models in 4 person spas.
- 5-6 person: Square 5-person models are perfect for entertaining but still don't require a massive amount of space. Available in several brands and packed with features, you can't go wrong with a 5-6 person hot tub.
- 7-8 person: Spas in this size (7-8 person spas) are the ultimate in luxury and offer plenty of space for entertaining your friends.
- 9-10 person: Artesian Spas offer two spacious 9-10 person hot tubs for those with the outdoor area to entertain guests in an opulent hot tub escape.
Two particular types of spas are portable and swim spas.
- Portable Spas: Portable Spas come in up to 6-person models, plug into standard outlets, and offer all of the benefits of an at-home hot tub and spa escape. Easy installation makes them a favorite choice.
- Swim Spas: The Swim Spa option combines the perks of a hot tub with the space to do low impact exercises like swimming or running in the water.
Like pools, spas and hot tubs require regular maintenance to make sure they function properly for years. Family Leisure offers a wide variety of spa filters, treatments, and other accessories to help make sure your home spa is up to par.
Hot tub covers and spa covers will help keep the water clean, clear and ready for use. Covers also help to conserve energy and keep utility costs low. Choose from our selection of spa covers for Viking, Artesian, Dream Maker and Cal models. A durable cover made form quality material will withstand changes in weather, won't fade over time and will look great for years to come.
Our selection of spa chemicals and hot tub chemicals will keep your water crystal clear with products like alkalinity increaser, pH balancer, algaecide, bromine tablets, granular chlorine and much more. Clean water helps improve your hot tub filter efficiency, which can help reduce the frequency of routine cleanings. Browse our Spa Supplies to discover the very best Spa Accessories and Hot Tub Chemicals!
Transform your home with Family Leisure Spa & Hot Tubs! Relax in clear and clean water while the cares of the day drift away. Family Leisure has been in the home recreational industry since 1969; rely on us for expert hot tub and spa advice, tips, trends and new models. We carry the best brands and offer free nationwide shipping on all orders more than $40, so you're guaranteed to save money! Family Leisure! Where Family and Fun come together!