Incorporating A Garden Into Your Backyard Design
After a winter of stalled cars, runny noses and cold, cold temperatures, Minnesotans are ready to get rid of that cabin fever and spend time in the great outdoors. And, to make your outdoor area truly great, you'll need a fluid design with a beautiful garden.
Sounds like a lot of work? Don't fret! It's all a labor of love when it comes to gardening and outdoor design. And when you're all done, you'll have a beautiful outdoor space to relax in after a long day at work or on the weekends.
Check out our tips for how to make your backyard and garden shine this spring and summer!
Tips For Your Garden
Despite irregular weather patterns and a rather short growing season, Minneapolis remains an excellent place for gardening. Whether you plan to grow veggies to put on the dinner table or simply liven up your property with a few flowers, you'll find that growing the garden of your dreams is a lot of fun.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you establish your garden:
- Keep track of the start and end of the growing season. Different plants should be put in the ground at different times, so do your research to find out when to get your favorite plants started.
- Don't get too complacent with the weather. Many Minnesotans make the crucial mistake of setting up their gardens the moment mild weather hits. Unfortunately, the weather up north has a nasty tendency to lull residents into a false sense of calm before striking back with nasty blizzards.
- Consider growing native species. Exotic plants are beautiful, but they can be difficult to grow in an ever-changing climate. Hardier native plants are ideal for gardeners who are limited in the time department.
Tips For Your Yard Design
- Choose a style. Nothing says I went into designing my backyard with absolutely no plan in mind quite like an eclectic blend of design styles, clashing colors and mismatched furniture. While your design doesn't have to be perfectly flawless, planning ahead and doing some design sytle research before hand never hurts! Spend a weekend watching HGTV, check out the Family Leisure home improvement blog and window shop for a bit before making any big purchases.
- Have an end vision in mind. Peruse magazines, check home improvements blogs and do some digging. If you're the artistic type, you can even do a sketch. Having a vision of what your finished backyard will look like can be a helpful guide for your shopping experience. If it doesn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped, it's great to have a goal in mind!
- Set a budget. Your yard design goal can be as fabulous as fabulous can be, but without a budget, you might run out of money before you can even finish. It's easy to get wrapped up in the thrill of the purchase, and come away with hundreds of dollars worth of things you never intended to buy. Before you begin your design, have a dollar amount in mind and try your best to stick to it.
Warm Weather At Last
When the warm weather finally arrives for good, you'll have a wonderful backyard design for the spring and summer. But be careful, your friends and family may never leave!
Add a Comment